Friday, 23 December 2016

Euro Christmas Wishes

It's been a whirlwind of a year, hasn't it?  At times it's felt like being locked in a car with a psycho at the wheel intent on driving off an approaching cliff.  You could even say that we're trapped, like fools in a cage, so confused we can't get out.


I still cast my mind back to June and remember how genuinely horrible it was during the whole EU referendum. It became impossible to even listen to pop music on the radio without hearing the hourly news bulletins that would neutrally inform you of the latest racist or xenophobic outburst from the Leave campaign.  Even without that it was just week after week of people yelling lies at each other from all directions.  Really, really awful stuff.  In the end I just had a news blackout for the whole month, fired up spotify and busied myself with DIYchores around the flat.  Apart from Sunday evening Tatort (a downbeat and occasionally not completely awful German detective procedural) I only broke the TV and radio embargo just before I went to bed as the vote counting started.  When the result became clear I was shocked and then shocked that I was so shocked.  It had never occurred to me that I was so attached to feeling European.  Brexit seemed to cut to the core of who I am much more than it threatens my plans. 

Blogging about Brexit has been a total revelation.  It's given me a (completely false) sense of control over the situation. Even if that is totally misguided it has made me feel so much better.  It wouldn't be the same without everyone who has stopped by to read my witterings, comment on them or even share them on something called twitter (being a middle-aged loser, I still don't fully understand Friendface or whatever it's called).  Anyway, a massive Christmas thank you to everyone who stopped by but especially to Tris from Munguins RepublicThank you! 

Frohe Weihnachten und ein glückliches neues Jahr to everyone who stopped by.  I'll be back in January for more witterings, pop videos with semi-appropriate song title, wild speculation, updates on the emotional Brexitcoaster, and Euro facts.  To play out 2016 here's one of my favourite songs of all time.  It has nothing to do with Christmas or Brexit but it never fails to bring a smile to my face. What more do you want than a French singer wailing in German and then translating into English for the call back? Wait, you do want more?  Grrr, some people.  Get your dancing shoes on and simply enjoy the best German/French musical partnership ever.



Over and out,

Terry


PS RIP Colonel Abrams.

10 comments:

  1. Prettige Kerstdagen en een Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!

    Vanuit Nederland.

    P_M (a Scot abroad)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Munguin found you. Have a Guid New Year. Your posts on the EU and Brexit are highly educational, well to me anyway. Pleasekeep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! More to follow next year after a winter blow-out on whisky and cake.

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas Terry! Encountering your blog (thanks to Munguin) has been a real pleasure.

    Hugh

    P.s. apologies for all the double posts, something to do with my phone I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas Terry! Encountering your blog (thanks to Munguin) has been a real pleasure.

    Hugh

    P.s. apologies for all the double posts, something to do with my phone I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double posts always welcome. It makes this blog look more popular than it actually is.

      Merry Christmas Hugh!

      Delete
    2. Double posts always welcome. It makes this blog look more popular than it actually is.

      Merry Christmas Hugh!

      Hah, see what I did there.

      Delete
  5. Actually, I did the same.

    While the campaign was on Munguin's Republic refused to engage with it, because the quality was so incredibly awful.

    From the bits I saw on heard on twitter, Facebook and headlines in what passes for papers here in the UK, all I could garner was that there was a good deal of xenophobia and internecine warfare particularly in the Tory Party.

    It didn't seriously occur to me for a second that the Brits would vote to come out. I mean, Farage and Fox, Bojo and Govey, and Patel and Grayling were more figures of fun than politicians. Surely they couldn't have much of a following.

    We, of course, didn't really have many leave politicians in Scotland. Nicola and Patrick were strongly for Remain, as were, back then, Ruth, Kezia and Whatshisname, the wee one with the funny face. (Since then there has been a Damascene Conversion in the last three. now it's the best thing that ever happened and it's just busting with opportunities... for emigration? We did have David Coburn, but that's altogether another story.

    But then I woke up and heard Nigel Farage orgasming on the Today Programme, and, of course, withdrawing the offer of £350,000,000 a week for the English National Health Service. What had we, or rather they, done. Because Scotland voted VERY firmly to stay.

    So, now we have to deal with it. It's complex beyond belief and the people that Mayhem has put in charge are out of their depth when playing 'Naughts and Crosses' (or 'Ex and Ohs', as we call the game locally).

    It was a happy day for me when you emailed me with details of your blog. You've made the whole thing a bit more understandable, and done it with such good humour that I really look forward to the next post.

    Well done on a really useful blog.

    Joyeux Noël et Bonne Année
    Buon Natale e Felice Anno nuovo
    Frohe Weihnachten und Frohes neues Jahr
    Legreivlas fiastas da Nadal ed in bien niev onn!

    as you Swiss blokeys say...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole EU referendum and its aftermath has been a long episode of first class clowning around. Many more years of this lie ahead.

      That last one must be Romansch. What kind of country has that as a national language?

      I'm going to attempt a whole week without thinking about Brexit. Starting from... wait for it... now.

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete

Bark, lark or snark